Post Office Cash Tracker for April 2021
Business cash deposits up almost 9% in April at Post Offices
- Total value of cash deposits and withdrawals at Post Offices totalled £2.45 billion in April, in line with March (£2.44 billion)
- Business cash deposits in April totalled £769 million, up 8.8% month-on-month (£707 million, March 2021) as non-essential businesses re-opened on 12 April
- Personal cash deposits exceeded £1 billion for the second successive month totalling £1.07 billion, dipping 3.8% month-on-month (£1.12 billion, March 2021)
- Personal cash withdrawals remained steady with £589 million withdrawn over the counter, the same amount as March 2021
- Post Offices are providing critical cash services to non-essential retailers who can rely on Post Office branches to deposit much needed cash takings as they are open long hours and many seven days a week
Latest data from the Post Office’s April Cash Tracker shows cash deposits and withdrawals remained steady month-on-month, highlighting that cash use continues to recover following the opening of non-essential retail on April 12.
Personal cash deposits
Personal cash deposits exceeded a billion pounds for the second successive month, the first time that has happened at the Post Office. In April, £1.07 billion was deposited over the counters, a 3.8% dip on March (£1.12 billion). September last year is the only other month where personal cash deposits have exceeded one billion pounds.
Personal cash withdrawals
Personal cash withdrawals totalled £589.9 million in April which was almost identical to the amount withdrawn in March (£589.7 million). This was the highest amount withdrawn from Post Office counters since last September (£591 million), excluding December and the impact of Christmas.
Business cash deposits
Business cash deposits totalled £769 million, up 8.8% month-on-month (£707 million, March 2021). This was the highest amount deposited by businesses since last October (excluding Christmas). In comparison with April 2020 (£313 million), when the UK was in the first full month of lockdown, business cash deposits are up 146% year-on-year.
Business cash withdrawals
Overall, cash deposits and withdrawals at Post Offices in April amounted to £2.45 billion. This compares with £2.44 billion in March and £2.00 billion in February. Last April, when the UK was in the first full month of lockdown, the total deposited and withdrawn was £1.29 billion.
Combined Personal & Business deposits
Combined Personal & Business withdrawals
The chart below shows the cash deposits (for Personal, Business and Personal & Business combined) breakdown, as at end April 2021, for the the four nations (England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales).
This chart shows the cash withdrawals (for Personal, Business and then Personal & Business combined) breakdown, as at end April 2021, for the the four nations (England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales).